Homemade jam has never been this cinch. This super-quick chia berry jam comes together with the help of nutrient-packed chia seeds instead of mounds of refined sugar. Spread on toast or swirl through porridge, yoghurt or overnight oats.
Makes roughly 10 tablespoons. Each serve contains 170kJ, 7g carbs, 1g protein, 1g fat and 1g fibre.
- 1.5 cups raspberry, frozen or fresh
- 1.5 cups strawberry, frozen or fresh
- 2 tbs chia seeds
- 2 tbs desired sweetener, or to taste.
Tip: Chia seeds are the highest combined plant source of omega-3 fats, fibre and protein.
- Place the fruit and sweetener in a small saucepan over medium to low heat and simmer fruit until it breaks down and becomes syrupy for 5 to 10 minutes. Use a potato masher to help break down the strawberries, if using frozen.
- Remove from heat. Transfer fruit to small bowl.
- Stir in the chia seeds.
- Place in fridge and allow to set for 1-hour until mixture forms a jam like consistency.
- Once set, store in air-tight jar and use as required. Can last in the fridge for up to 7 days.
3 WAYS TO USE
- Toast topper with ricotta
- Stir through porridge
- Layer on overnight oats or Bircher muesli.