Super sweet blood oranges pack the vitamin-filled punch needed to keep you looking and feeling fresh, and are the only citrus fruit containing anthocyanins (a type of antioxidant) known to curb body fat accumulation.
- 6 blood oranges* (use 1 tspn for zest)
- 1 head radicchio
- 100g fresh mozzarella
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 2 large handfuls mint leaves, torn
- crusty bread, to serve (optional)
*Use figs, pink grapefruit or oranges depending on what’s in season.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic
- ½ tspn blood orange zest
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice to taste
- To prepare the dressing, mix blood orange zest with the remaining dressing ingredients, and whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To prepare the oranges, take off the top and base of each and stand them on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to slice away the peel and pith, then slice the oranges across into approximately 1cm-thick slices
- Meanwhile, heat a medium-sized fry pan over medium heat and toast the pine nuts until golden brown, shaking the pan occasionally. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Roughly tear the radicchio into pieces and scatter over a large platter with mozzarella pieces, mint leaves, sliced orange and pine nuts. Drizzle with dressing.
- Serve with smoked salmon slices, baked fish or grilled meat and a crusty bread roll, or simply enjoy on it’s own.