Throwing a party? Impress your guests with these gluten-free buckwheat blinis. They make a delectable hunger-busting brunch or kick off the festivities with some elegant nibbles.
Serves 5. This recipe is gluten-free.
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk or milk alternative
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and extra for frying
- 4 fresh figs, sliced into eights
- 100g ricotta
- 250g smoked salmon
- 1 bunch of dill
- Freshly squeezed lemon to serve
- In a large bowl sift the flours in with the baking powder.
- In a separate bowl mix the egg yolk, milk and oil.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until batter is smooth and well combined.
- Heat a medium fry pan, drizzle a little oil, pour 2 tbspn of the batter in pan – be careful not to spread batter to wide. Cook until bubbles appear on top. Flip the blini and cook until golden. Repeat for remaining mixture and set blinis aside on a large serving platter. Add extra oil to fry pan when required. Batter makes roughly 30 blinis.
- To prepare the figs, chop each fig into eights.
- To assemble the blinis, layer each blini with teaspoon ricotta, followed by another blini, 1 teaspoon ricotta, small piece of salmon and fig.
- Garnish with dill and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve immediately.