A chewy, sweet and ridiculously moreish treat. Keep this tasty peanut butter slice on hand to ward away a snack attack.
This recipe is dairy free, high protein, gluten free and freezable. Makes roughly 15 slices. Each slice contains 909 kJ (216 cals), 16g carbs, 5g protein, 14g fat and 3g fibre.
- 2 cups puffed amaranth or rice puffs (gluten free)
- 2 cups cashew
- 5 medjool dates, pitted, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- 3 tb cacao powder
- 2 tb honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup crunchy peanut butter
- ½ cup baking chocolate chips, melted (optional)
- Line a small baking dish with baking paper.
- In a high-speed blender add the cashews, dates, coconut and cocoa and blend for 30 seconds-1 minute. Add honey and process until mixture starts to form a fine crumb, but can still hold its shape. If mixture is too dry, add 1 tablespoon boiling water and blend fro another 30 seconds.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and fold through the puffed grains until evenly mixed through.
- Firmly press mixture into an even flat layer in baking dish, smoothing surface with the back of a spoon.
- Place pan in freezer for 5 minutes or until slice is slightly firm.
- Remove from freezer and drizzle with melted chocolate (optional) and return to the freezer for 5 minutes until chocolate has set.
- Remove slice from pan using baking paper as a lever and cut into even squares and serve.
Note: Slice may be stored in an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or can be frozen for up to 3 months.