Here’s a healthy spin on a traditional Mexican favourite. Served with nourishing avocado salsa to complement toasty coconut crusted prawns, it’s a definite crowd pleaser!
- 450g green prawns, peeled (roughly 24 prawns)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Zest from ½ lime
- 1 egg
- ½ cup coconut flour (or flour of choice)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 Mini wholegrain tortillas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 avocados, cored, chopped
- 1 cup coriander, chopped
- Gather two mixing bowls and two plates. In a bowl, mix the shredded coconut, salt, and pepper and lime zest. In another bowl, crack the egg and whisk well. Spread coconut flour onto a plate.
- Coat the prawns first in flour, then egg, and last in the coconut mix.
- Once crumbed, place the prawns on a plate and refrigerate for 10-20 minutes.
- Prepare the salsa: In a medium bowl combine the onion, tomatoes, avocado, coriander and lime and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat a fry pan over high heat. When hot, drizzle with 1-2 tbsp of oil. Allow oil to heat, but not smoke, then reduce to medium-high heat. Add 3-4 prawns at a time and shallow fry. Cook the prawns until browned on each side.
- Serve with warm tortilla, salsa and squeeze of fresh lemon.