French toast is a classic brunch favourite that doesn’t have to be nearly as naughty as you may think! This perfect combo of protein and carbs will help boost your metabolism and give your body the nourishment it needs. Just don’t undo all your good work by smothering it in sugary syrup!
- 2 slices wholegrain bread
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp milk or milk alternative
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- canola spray
- 1C frozen raspberries
- 2 tsp honey, rice malt syrup or sweetener of your choice
- Prepare the raspberry coulis by placing the raspberries, 1 tbsp water and honey/sweetener in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and cooking for approximately 10 minutes or until mixture thickens and forms a sauce-like consistency.
- Meanwhile combine egg, milk and salt and soak each slice of bread in mixture. Make sure you turn the bread over so it soaks through with the egg mixture.
- Heat medium fry pan over medium heat and spray with canola oil, once it heats up add soaked bread. Cook for 2 minutes each side or until golden.
- Remove toast from pan and sprinkle with cinnamon. Top with raspberry coulis. Serve immediately.
This recipe is:
- Soy free
- Dairy free – use milk alternative eg. almond milk
- Gluten free – use gluten free bread
Nutritional analysis per serve:
|Energy (kJ)||Carbohydrates (g)||Fat (g)||Sat Fat (g)||Protein (g)||Sugar (g)|