Wow your guests with this super-nourishing and well-balanced carrot and haloumi salad for your next cookout.
This recipe is vegetarian, gluten free, high protein and plant-based. Serves 2 as a main, or 4 as a side. Each main serve contains 2724 kJ, 27g carbs, 30g protein, 45g fat and10g fibre.
- 2 x bunches of Dutch carrots, tops trimmed (reserve for dressing)
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tb maple syrup
- 3 tb extra virgin olive oil
- Cooking oil spray
- 180g salt-reduced haloumi, sliced
- 200g (1/2 can) puy (brown) lentils, rinsed and drained
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place carrots on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the macadamia nuts, maple syrup, 2 tb olive oil and salt and pepper, mix well.
- Pour the maple and nut mixture over the carrots.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the carrots are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat a fry pan over medium heat, spray with oil, cook haloumi for 2 minutes each side or until lightly golden brown. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, place lentils, remaining olive oil and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper and mix well. Set aside.
- Once carrots are cooked, serve on a large serving platter by placing the carrots and macadamias over a bed of lentils, and residue maple syrup and nut sauce from the baking tray. Top the carrots cooked haloumi and a squeeze of fresh lemon and garnish with parsley or radish