Skip the sausage meat with hearty lentil and mushroom filling which are packed full of nutritional goodness and are bursting with flavour.
- 1 can French ‘puy’ lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic glove, crushed
- 1 tsp lemon thyme, sprigs removed,
- 1 tbs parsley, chopped
- 1 zucchini, grated (excess moisture removed)
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- 1 tb barbecue sauce
- 1 egg, beaten (extra to brush on puff pastry)
- sesame seeds to sprinkle
- 3 sheets filo pastry*
Tip: Lentils provide protein and sustenance that can replace meat in meals.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C and line one baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat a large fry pan over medium heat, drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until soft. Add the mushroom, lemon thyme, parsley and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cooked mixture with lentils, quinoa flakes, zucchini, and egg and season with salt and pepper, and mix until well combined.
- Place 2 sheets of filo on top of each other lengthways.
- Lightly brush with oil. Place one more sheet on top and brush with oil.
- Cut filo in half horizontally.
- Using your hands squeeze out excess liquid
- Use half the mixture and place in the centre of the foil, . to resemble a sausage like shape along the length of filo, leaving a 3cm border at each side.
- Fold both sides into the centre, light brush with oil to seal it.
- Using two hands, gently flip the roll over. Brush the top with oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Repeat with second roll.
- Roll over once, tuck in the sides and roll up into a tight parcel. Repeat to make xxx parcels.
- Place filo rolls on prepared tray, seam-side down. Brush with oil and top with sesame seeds or chia seeds. Bake for about 15 minutes, until golden.