This healthy vegetarian parmigiana is far lower in fat and kilojoules than the original and still with all the yummy flavours.
This recipe is vegetarian, gluten free, high protein and freezable. Serves 4. Each serve contains 1124 kJ (270 cals), 14g carbs, 12g protein , 16g fat and 6.5 g fibre.
- 1 large eggplant sliced into large discs, 1-2cm thick
- 2 zucchinis, sliced
- 250g ricotta
- 1 tb extra virgin olive oil
- 500g passata
- 2 tsp oregano or mixed herbs
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 80g feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Drizzle oil into the base of a medium-sized baking dish. Add the half the passata sauce and then arrange half the zucchini and eggplant.
- Sprinkle one teaspoon of dried herbs, half the ricotta cheese, half the feta and half a cup on basil on top.
- Repeat with the final layer of remaining passata, zucchini, eggplant, herbs, ricotta, basil and sprinkle with feta cheese and finish with pine nuts.
- Cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for a further 15 minutes or until cheese is golden. Serve with side salad or sweet potato mash, or wholegrain dinner roll.
- Leftovers refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Store in an air-tight container and freeze for no longer than 2 months.