Give substance to your salad with pearl barley – a nutrient-rich wholegrain packed full of health benefits, including improved digestion and balanced blood sugar levels .Teamed with omega-3 rich ocean trout, this nourishing salad will truly tantalize your taste buds.
- 300g hot-smoked trout fillets
- 8 pre-cooked baby beets, quartered
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 100g rocket
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 50g goat’s cheese feta
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsn extra virgin olive oil
- Half a fresh lemon, squeezed
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 200 degrees C. Place the pumpkin on a baking tray and toss with olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Prepare the salad dressing by adding all ingredients in a screw top jar, season with salt and pepper and shake to combine. Set aside.
- Prepare barley as per packet instructions, drain and set aside into a large-sized bowl. Allow to cool.
- Mix in the rocket, beetroot wedges, feta and cooled pumpkin with the barely until well combined.
- Scatter the barley mixture over a large serving platter. Arrange the trout pieces and sprinkle with slivered almonds. Drizzle the dressing and serve.