Spice up your weekday dinner revelry with this super satisfying lamb, pomegranate and quinoa salad infused with colourful fruit and vegetables. Best of all – it’s packed with iron-rich lamb pieces. Iron helps move oxygen to working muscles.
- 500g lamb fillet (backstrap), trimmed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 cups baby rocket or spinach
- 1 zucchini, peeled and thinly sliced, lengthways
- ½ cup currants
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup fresh pomegranate arils
- ½ lemon, freshly squeezed
Moroccan Spice Marinade
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Cayenne
- ½ tsp Coriander seeds, ground
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Minted Yoghurt Dressing
- 150g Greek yoghurt
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped
- ¼ fresh lemon, freshly squeezed.
- To prepare the marinade, combine all the spices with oil in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Place the lamb fillets into the bowl and evenly coat the lamb with the marinade mix. Cover with cling wrap and allow to marinade for 3 hours in the fridge or overnight.
- To prepare the minted yoghurt, combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Cook quinoa according to packet instructions. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat a large chargrill or frying pan on medium heat. Brush zucchini with 1 tbsn olive oil and cook in batches for 2-3 minutes each side, until tender and golden. Set aside on a plate.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat. Cook the lamb for 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare or cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil. Stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice.
- To assemble the salad, add the rocket or baby spinach, currants, almonds and pomegranate arils to the quinoa and mix well. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon and salt and pepper to taste.
- Portion up the salad onto a large serving dish, top with sliced lamb and dollop of minted yoghurt.