These crimson beauties pack a serious health punch with nine times the antioxidants and double the Vitamin A of navel oranges. The only citrus fruit to contain Anthocyanins – a potent antioxidant to help boost immunity and fight heart disease, try our No Bake Blood Orange tart while they’re in season.
- 3.5 cups pecans
- 6-7 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
cashew cream filling
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, drained
- 1/3 water
- 2 tb maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 7 blood oranges, peeled, pith and seeds removed, and evenly sliced into small segments
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Place all tart base ingredients into a high-speed blender and process until it forms a crumb like texture.
- Place mixture into a 23 cm flan (tart) pan with removable base and evenly press into the base making sure you press against the sides of the pan to create a crust like shape for the tart base. Damp fingers work best. Set tart shell aside.
- To make the filling, blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and thick mixture, about 5 minutes, scraping sides as needed. Pour into prepared shell, spreading evenly. Place in the fridge to set for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, arrange orange slices on top of tart and sprinkle with lemon zest and crushed nuts and serve immediately.
*Blood Oranges are available from August until November.