This tasty Swiss chard and ricotta (pastry free) tart is the perfect addition to your to weekly meat free repertoire. Dish it up with your favourite side salad or salsa.
- 500g ricotta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tspn chili flakes
- 2 tspn lemon thyme leaves, plus 3 sprigs extra to garnish
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch of Swiss chard (or you can use silverbeet) stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 150g of baby spinach
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Handful of parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup pine nuts, some for garnish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Pre heat oven to 200°C
- Heat a large non-stick fry pan on medium-high heat. Dry fry pine nuts until slightly toasted, about 1-2 minutes, tossing the pan continuously. Once toasted, remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same fry pan, add one tbsp of olive oil and sauté the leek and garlic on medium to high heat and stir until soften, about 1- 2 minutes
- Add the Swiss chard to the pan with the remaining olive oil and stir occasionally, until coated with oil and starts to soften.
- Add the spinach and stir through for another minute. Place a lid onto the pan and turn off the heat and allow the spinach to wilt for an extra minute.
- Transfer the green mixture to a colander and press to remove as much excess liquid as possible and allow it to cool slightly.
- Once cooled, transfer to a large bowl, and blend in the beaten eggs, parsley and season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Set aside.
- To prepare the top layer of the tart, combine the ricotta, olive oil, chili and thyme in a separate mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper, and mix until well combined.
- Line a 20 cm spring-form pan with baking paper. Spoon in the green filling and pat down evenly. Place the ricotta mixture on top and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 min or until firm and lightly golden.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and set aside to allow to cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and garnish with remaining pine nuts and thyme. Cut into portions and serve hot or warm with a side salad or avocado salsa.