A balanced blend of supergrains amaranth and quinoa, mixed with macadamias and lightly sweetened with maple, makes this gluten free granola a new twist on a breakfast standard. It’s incredibly nutrient dense, full of fibre, protein, healthy fats and slow-burning carbohydrates – not to mention, super satisfying!
Serves 12-14 (suggested serve ½ cup)
- ½ cup puffed amaranth (see notes)
- ½ puffed quinoa
- 1 cup oats, or barley, or puffed millet (optional)
- 1 cup chopped macadamias
- ½ cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together all dry ingredients. Add oil and maple syrup and mix until evenly coated.
- Spread mixture onto a large baking tray (or 2 small baking trays) lined with baking paper and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown, tossing halfway through to ensure that it gets evenly baked. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Assemble bowls with granola, topped with seasonal fruit, milk or yoghurt or enjoy as a breakfast parfait
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to three weeks.
If you can’t find puffed amaranth, you can make your own using amaranth which is available in leading supermarkets. Place ½ cup of amaranth in a medium sized saucepan with a tight fitting lid over medium heat. Amaranth should soon start to pop like popcorn. Shake the saucepan occasionally to stop it from burning. Remove from heat after about 5 minutes. Allow to cool.