Gluten-free, soy-free and vegetarian; this vibrant and wholesome Roast Vegetable and Haloumi Salad will brighten your day! Serve it up warm for lunch or dinner.
- 2 red capsicum
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1cm rounds
- 3 zucchini, cut into 1cm strips length-ways
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 100g baby spinach
- 200g haloumi, cut into 1cm pieces
- 500g sweet potato, cut into 1cm cubes
- ½ cup walnuts
- Seeds of ½ pomegranate
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp vinegar (white wine or balsamic)
Note: You can prepare the capsicum, eggplant, zucchini and sweet potato ahead of time.
1. To prepare roast capsicum: Place whole capsicums in oven and cook on 180 degrees celsius for 45minutes – 1 hour, or until skin starts to brown and blister. Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes, then place in a plastic bag and tie a knot in it. Leave for a further 5 minutes and then remove from bag. This will make the skin easier to peel off. Peel skin and remove stem and seeds. Pat dry with baking paper then cut into strips.
2. To prepare sweet potato: Line a baking dish with baking paper and place sweet potato in single layer. Place in oven and cook for approximately 30 minutes or until tender.
3. To prepare eggplant and zucchini: Combine garlic, olive oil and a tsp of rock salt. Line 2-3 trays with baking paper and brush with olive oil then lay eggplant and zucchini in a single layer and brush top side with oil. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until tender and slightly browned. Allow to cool. Cut eggplant into slices.
4. Serve in a large bowl. Toss the baby spinach, sweet potato and ¾ of the pomegranate. Then layer the eggplant, zucchini and capsicum.
5. Just prior to serving cook the haloumi. Spray a large saucepan with olive oil spray and heat to medium heat. Add the haloumi pieces and a squeeze of lemon. Cook for approximately 1 minute each side or until golden then arrange on top of salad.
6. Sprinkle with remaining pomegranate and walnuts and drizzle with dressing.
This recipe is:
- Vegans/vegetarians: Omit cheese
- Dairy-free: Omit haloumi, substitute for parmesan (if you can tolerate small amounts of lactose)
- Add a small serve of chicken breast or a fillet of salmon for higher protein.
Nutritional Analysis per serve
|Energy (kj)||Carbohydrates (g)||Fat (g)||Saturated Fat (g)||Protein (g)||Sugar (g)|