These crispy quinoa patties are a great meatless option that even meat eaters will love. Not only are they filling, but they pack some powerful healthy perks (with minimal calories) keeping heart health, vision and your waistline in check.
- 2½ cups cooked quinoa, cooled
- 2 cups finely chopped (2cm), peeled jap or kent pumpkin (winter squash) (approx 200g)
- 200g Hot-smoked Atlantic salmon
- 1 large free range egg, beaten
- 1 small cup onion, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Olive oil spray
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups kale, de-veined and finely chopped
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten free option use quinoa flakes)
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and seeded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Drizzle pumpkin with a little oil and roast for 20-30 minutes until tender.
- Prepare the avocado dressing. Place the yoghurt, avocado, garlic, lime juice, and cumin in a blender or food processor. Mix until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Prepare patties. Spread ½ cup of cooked (and cooled) quinoa over a clean plate. In a medium sized bowl, whisk the egg and combine egg mixture with remaining quinoa and cayenne pepper.
- Heat a large fry pan on medium heat and spray with olive oil then sauté onions for approximately 2 minutes or until soften. Add garlic and cook 1 minute before adding kale. Sautee kale until it slightly wilts.
- Add kale mixture to quinoa mixture, then add breadcrumbs and mix until well combined.
- Once pumpkin is cooked, place in a medium sized bowl and gently mash with back of a fork. Fold the mashed pumpkin through the kale and quinoa mixture and mix until combined. Place pattie mixture in fridge to set for 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, divide and roll the pattie mixture into palm-sized balls (or larger sizes if you prefer) and shape them into patties. Press the patties into remaining quinoa to coat.
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with olive oil and place over medium-low heat. Cook the patties in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through.
- To serve, top each pattie with a dollop of avocado cream and a squeeze of lemon and freshly ground pepper.
For a more sustaining meal, serve with a few slices hot smoked salmon and enjoy for breakfast or lunch.