Fluff, moist and tender with the perfect amount of sweetness. Want more do you want in a muffin? These whole grain muffins are the closest thing to eating cake while getting a healthy dose of fibre and antioxidants.
Spelt has higher levels of protein, fibre, vitamin B2 compared to wheat. The carbohydrates and vitamin B6 found in bananas act as a great pick-me-up any time of the day. Cinnamon is beneficial for blood sugar control. Ricotta contains twice as much calcium and zinc compared to cottage cheese
- 1 cup Uncle Toby’s oats with ancient grains, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed (roughly 2 large bananas)
- 3 passionfruits, halved
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup milk
- 100g ricotta
- 2 free range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
- Grease the muffin tray with spray oil or line with wrappers.
- Add the ancient grains and spelt flour with milk – allow to soak and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the oil and maple syrup in a large bowl. Add eggs and beat well. Mix in the mashed banana, ricotta, baking soda, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt.
- Fold in the passionfruit pulps. Add the soaked grains and spelt flour and mix until well combine.
- Spoon into muffin tins.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until muffins are cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow cooling for 10 minutes, and then turning onto cooling rack to cool completely. Lightly brush the muffin tops with a little maple syrup and dust with extra ancient grains.