Full of fresh flavours and taste, these tofu rolls make a delicious, yet lighter alternative to greasy appetisers or a perfect light lunch for warm days.
- 300g firm tofu, drained, cut into thick long strips (makes roughly 30 strips)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red capsicum, julienned
- 1 large cucumber, julienned
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 avocado, peeled, de stoned, cut into thin slices
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 100g vermicelli noodles (optional)
- 15 Rice Spring Roll Papers (1 packet)
- ½ lime, squeezed
- 2 tbsp salt-reduced tamari (wheat free)
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- ½ tbsp lime zest
- Pinch dried chilli flakes or 1 small red chilli, deseeded, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp honey
Cashew dipping sauce
- ¼ cup cashew butter (if can’t find cashew butter, use peanut butter)
- 1 tbsp tamari (plus more to taste)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (more to taste)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds for garnish
- 3 tbsp boiling water to thin (more for desired consistency)
- crushed cashews or sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place all marinade ingredients in large mixing bowl, whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Place tofu strips on kitchen paper and pat dry to remove excess water. Place tofu strips into bowl and gently swirl the bowl to evenly coat the tofu strips in the marinade. Pop in the fridge for at least one hour to soak up the flavours.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the cashew dipping sauce, add all sauce ingredients except water to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add boiling water, more if needed until a pourable sauce is achieved. Garnish with crushed cashews or sesame seeds (optional). Adjust flavors as needed and set aside.
- Remove tofu from fridge and bake in the oven for 30-minutes. Once cooked allow to cool slightly.
- While tofu is baking, prepare the rice noodles as per packet instructions. Allow to cool and set aside.
- Once tofu is cooked, assemble spring rolls. Dip a single sheet of rice paper into a bowl of warm/hot water to moisten (as per packet instruction). Place on a damp, clean tea towel. Arrange tofu, carrots, cucumber, capsicum, mint, avocado and rice noodles to the bottom third of the wrapper, then tuck in the sides and continue rolling until seam is sealed. Repeat until all ingredients are used.
Best served immediately with the cashew dipping sauce. To pack as a lunch or bring to a picnic, roll each spring roll individually in plastic film. Best served the same day.