These protein-packed stuffed portobello mushrooms are everyone’s favourite. A nourishing morsel filled with nutrient-rich nuts, beans and vitamins (especially vitamin D) makes them a perfect finger food or complementary side to fish or meat.
Serves 2-3 as a main or 4 as a side.
- 8 large Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 200g can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus extra for garnish
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- ¼ cup pinenuts, roughly diced
- 3 tbs parsley, roughly chopped
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup parmasan cheese, grated
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 150°C
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Finely chop. Reserve.
- Place the mushroom caps, cut-side down, on the tray lined with baking paper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 5 minutes or until just softened. Set aside. Leave the oven on.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, drizzle with oil. Cook the onions for 3 minutes, add the garlic, mushroom stems and thyme and cook for a further minute.
- Add the pinenuts to lightly toast for roughly 3 minutes
- Add the beans and the 1tb lemon juice. Turn off the heat. Set aside
- Mix the parmesan and qunioa flakes. Set aside.
- To prepare the mushroom cups, divide bean mixture to each cup. Top with crumbed feta and quinoa mixture. Garnish with 2 tb parsley, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, and place in pre-heated oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
Serve immediately. Leftovers can last up to three days.